Friday, July 16, 2010

Introduction for Tech Class

The first time I used a computer was in the early 1970’s. I worked for a trucking company that maintained a terminal-to-terminal system to track freight. (Not exactly like the current-day PCs!) In the mid-80’s, I bought an Apple and a cartoon illustrated book about using computers. I had a couple of guy-friends talk me through the rough spots and I was off and running. Over the years, I taught myself as much as I could about using and maintaining a computer for word processing, database maintenance, Multiple Listing Service (MLS) access and marketing materials. At one point, I worked for a title company and taught agents about the Internet and using the MLS database. I was once asked how I knew so much about computers. My answer was, “My husband cooks!” In other words, I had the time to fool around with them. I currently own and operate a web-based real estate service serving the “For Sale By Owner” market. I spend most days behind a screen.

I graduated with an English degree from Berkeley (a long time ago). I’ll be entering the Single Subject, English program at CSUSM this fall, but ultimately want to continue to get a special ed credential. My interest is in working with older kids/adults with severe disabilities. Other than teaching real estate agents how to use a computer (challenging!), I was a teaching assistant last year at Woodland Park Middle School. I worked with 6-8th graders with mild to moderate learning disabilities. Our classroom had about 9 computers and I enjoyed working with the kids on their computer skills. I was amazed that they were not particularly tech-savy, though they really enjoyed any activities that allowed them to have computer-time.

Since I love technology, I look forward to this class. Most of my computer experience has been in the business world, so it’s fun to see what’s available for the classroom. Technological innovation can be overwhelming; it’s easy to just say, “I know enough.” But I know there’s no such thing as “enough.” This is a great opportunity to set aside time each week to devote to learning more.

4 comments:

  1. i love the picture that you uploaded on to your post. it's very inspiring. i also find it inspiring that you are going to the teacher's credentials program specializing in special ed. there aren't enough S.E. teachers out there but I'm glad you'll be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, your blog address teachkindness is what made me interested in checking out your site. I was pleased to know that you are going into Special Education. I'm starting the add-on credential program in the fall myself. One thing I've noticed about Special Ed teachers is they are almost always kind people! I'm sure your students will benefit from your kindness. Best of luck in your endeavor!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The business world is on the front line of new technology. People say that the education world is slow in adopting technology. You can definitely bring in valuable experience from your workplace.

    R-J

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to eventually teach Special Education as well! However, I want to teach elementary school Special Education, mild to moderate. My mom is a Special Education teacher and I see how hard she works, I have a lot of respect for you and bet you're going to do great! Good luck with everything, and thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete